- To develop and maintain the orchard and vegetable garden using organic techniques.
- Develop wildlife habitats to support organic gardening and conservation.
- Conserve local fruit tree varieties planted in the orchard.
- Grow heritage and other vegetable varieties and save seed for future use.
- Show participants how to garden in a sustainable way.
- Give access to fresh food to the local community.
- Provide an opportunity for people with learning disabilities and mental health problems to learn practical and personal skills.
- Provide an opportunity to local residents to learn gardening techniques for fruit and vegetable growing.
- Encourage children to engage in gardening and conservation through school activities and family focused events.
Some picture and background on The Big Garden, from Simon, who has just attended the introductory Permaculture course there. He says "It nearly stopped raining once!"