Section 106 outstanding issues re provision of allotments at the Folly Grove site in Hockley

HUGE THANKS again to Cllr Adrian Eves’ post in the Hockley Allotment Society’s Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/hockley.allotment.society/ ‘The last post I put here was to report positive direction on the  provision of allotments for Hockley. Regrettably that no longer appears  to be the case. I’ve been regularly visiting the building site to try to get the definitive plan for the allotments firmed up.  Unfortunately it appears that the management at Persimmon Homes have conveniently forgotten about the planning condition requiring them to construct the allotments and have reacted with surprise when reminded over the issue, trying to give the impression they never knew about it! On top of that, a conversation with the clerk of Hockley Parish Council indicated that Hockley Parish Council are not keen to promote the provision of the allotments to their residents on the grounds that it is a provision that only serves the few. I have asked the Planning Department at Rochford District Council for an update on the position. I will report back once I have a reply. If you are minded, you might want to write to Hockley Parish Council, Persimmon and Rochford District Council’s Planning Department to express your concern that the  developer appears to be heading towards breaking the planning condition number 43 imposed on the developer as part of their planning approval.  Their email addresses are: clerk@hockley-essex.gov.uk – continued on next page… … [Read more…]

Update on Folly Chase allotments, Hockley (Planning Condition 43)

Progress to report on the provision of allotments in Hockley. The building of the houses on the Folly Grove site in Hockley is progressing. The developers (Persimmonn Homes) have told us that they anticipate first occupancy in October. This triggers a timescale. Plans for the allotments have to be lodged with Rochford District Council by the time of the first occupancy, which means we should start to see something more solid regarding the developers’ proposals for the allotments very soon. Naturally, we anticipate, ‘issues’ along the way but we’re keeping a very close eye on progress and will post when we have anything to report. … [Read more…]

Saturday 24 June, 10:00: Visit to Kings Seeds, Kelvedon (car share)

Saturday 24 June, 10:00 Visit to Kings Seeds, Kelvedon, including their famed sweet pea display and seed production area.    Kings Seeds charge £2 per head, payable on the day. Discounted seed packets will be available. There is no charge for parking. Do please contact us asap via caroleshorney@hotmail.com https://www.kingsseeds.com/ … [Read more…]

The First Community Farm in Essex

Help Create the First Community Owned Farm Business in Essex! Lauriston Farm, on the Blackwater Estuary in Essex, is doing something very different to embrace farm succession and secure the long term viability of the small, family owned biodynamic farm. It has created a Charitable Community Benefit Society to allow a community owned business to be formed and is embracing a five year business plan called The Lauriston Social Farming Initiative. You can become a shareholder in this new co-operative, not for profit business and connect directly with a vibrant, conservation orientated farm serving the local community. Pledges for shares are going well – 60% of our initial £20,000 target has been reached.  Now, by Saturday April 8th, we need to sell the remaining 40% to guarantee tripled match funding from Just Growth and the delivery of the five year business plan. 8,000 shares are available, each costing £1 – the minimum pledge is £100 (£50 concessionary) and the maximum £7,500. The outcomes from your pledge are detailed on our website. All our plans are detailed on our website but do contact us with any questions – no funds are drawn down until the share offer closes and we have contacted you with our exact position.  With love from all at Lauriston. http://www.lauristonfarm.co.uk/index.html   … [Read more…]

Four months’ free membership if you join by the end of February!

Four months’ free membership!  If you join by the end of February, your membership will last until 30th June next year, plus entry into free prize draw for £20 gift voucher. We meet six times a year in January, March, May, July, September and November at The Cheryl Centre, GrowingTogether Westcliff, 47 Fairfax Drive, Southend-on-Sea SS0 9AG (corner of Fairfax Drive and Prittlewell Chase) from 19:00. Single Membership is £8 per annum. Family Membership is £12 per annum and includes members of one family living at the same address. Plus visit to local organic garden or allotment! For further details, please contact Carole Shorney: caroleshorney@hotmail.com or download our membership application form, here. … [Read more…]